8.24.20

 

To see our previous post in the wake of Kobe’s death, clickhere.

 

At the top of the year, the world was dealt an unprecedented blow in the form of the pandemic we are still fighting today. And while the effects were not yet seen in the US, we quickly found ourselves reeling from our own tragedy: the death of NBA legend, Kobe Bryant.

Today is August 24th, 2020 or simply 8.24, otherwise known as Mamba Day. Taking a look back at where we are in the world now, as to where we were at the top of the year, I could not have foresaw what was going to happen. It was hard for me to sleep for a long time after the news of Kobe’s passing, but as the pandemic ramped up around the world, sleep became challenging for other reasons.

Basketball was always a means of solace for me, however as the world literally shut down, I was left with nothing but the video game NBA 2K20. Professional basketball stopped as sports everywhere ceased all operations, and people were told to stay in the house. The gyms closed as well, cutting people off from their usual means of fitness. No matter what I was going through in life, things were always simpler for me when all I had to do was focus on putting a ball in a basket.

One can only imagine my frustration when, I was not even able to do that.

The death toll across the world started to rise, and far more important concerns continued to mount in the days that would follow his death. Today, NBA basketball is back, and the gyms have reopened, albeit in a limited capacity. As people continue to attempt to adjust what is called, “The New Normal,” I realized the other day that it was time to pre-order latest 2K, as the release date was quickly approaching. Donning my mask, I walked in the store to place my order.

“Do you want the standard edition, or the Mamba edition?” the clerk asked.

“Excuse me?” I asked in disbelief.

“You know- Kobe Bryant?”

Of course I knew that. I was planning on ordering it as soon as it had been announced, but I found myself fighting back tears once again. I suppose I still had difficulty hearing it out loud.

Sportscenter put together some clips of memorable Kobe moments, and of course the Matt Barnes clip surfaced. Attempting to either intimidate him or force him to back up, Matt Barnes gave a feint with the ball, as if he was going to hit Kobe.

Everyone knows he didn’t flinch.

He didn’t even blink.

On that same Sportscenter post, there was a man in comments who said, “God, can we just go ONE DAY without talking about Kobe?”

Enraged I was about to, for the first time ever, verbally assault a stranger in the comments section of a social media post. But the rage was gone just as quickly as it came, for ignorance knows no bounds.

And even though today isn’t any easier than any other day since his passing, I suppose we can all take solace in the fact that this is probably the same way Kobe would react to the challenges we are currently facing.

The NBA has provided some joy for fans everywhere as most are just glad to have sports back, but the guidelines of the restart have been difficult for some. The NBA Bubble concept, seems pretty reasonable to most, but there are those who find it difficult to follow. I know Kobe would have had no problem playing in the bubble. No distractions, no outside influences, just your teammates, your hotel room, and the gym.

I would not have had a problem either.

So in honor of Mamba Day, ORR wanted to take the time to remember the MVP for the lasting impression he has had on the world. And while no one could have foresaw all that we were going to face this year, we should continue trying to face them head on- no backing down, no flinching.

Comments

Popular Posts