KOBE 2.24.20


Though I have never considered myself a writer, since starting this blog, I have forced myself to be one. I have written many stories, a few books, and several blog posts. But in all my time as a writer or otherwise, it has never been more difficult than it is right now.

Since the news of his death, I have searched for the best way to put into words a very harsh reality. I think my brother Julian said it best –“Your superheroes ain’t supposed to die.”

Basketball is my all-time favorite sport. My father taught me how to play when I was just a little boy, and I have played it ever since. A week may go by since I last played, but never two. I played in the streets growing up, I played in the gym in school during recess, I played on the local church teams, I played on my high school teams, I was a part of many legendary battles in my college rec center, and I have participated in countless adult rec leagues. I have played with many talented men and women, and made it a goal growing up to be good enough to stay on the court (my hoopers know what that means.) I remember watching my father play when I was little. He would let me play and would be sure that I was included, but when things got serious, he told me it was time to sit down and watch. I never forgot what that felt like. It felt like I was being left out, which I was, but my time with my father was limited, and I did not want to be excluded. But I had to understand that it was time for the adults to play, and I saw my father get real serious. Still yet, I made it a point to make sure that the next time I played with him, I did not have to sit out. I used that memory to propel my training to make sure that I didn’t have to feel it again.

My love for basketball went beyond what I could play personally. Sometimes it was too dark, or too hot, the season was over or I did not have the time to commit to any leagues. I would play NBA JAM, NBA Showtime, NBA Street Vol 2, NBA Live, other arcade based basketball games on whatever system I was gifted at the time. By 2008, the NBA 2k franchise was the marquee game in basketball simulation, resulting in a limitless number of all-time video game classics I would be involved in. While the other kids my age were partying, my brothers and I would play 2k. Kobe was Julian’s favorite player, so I faced the Lakers for many of those battles.

I could not always play video games, so I would watch the NBA on TV. Growing up without cable left me to only the nationally televised games, which meant only the best teams were broadcast. The Lakers, with their all-time talents of Shaquille O’Neal and Kobe Bryant got many of these spots. I was a big kid, so it was easy for me to identify with Shaq, but in my mind I really wanted to be like Kobe. I remember my dad lamenting over his purchase of the original crazy 8s because they hurt his feet. Kobe was such a dominating, fantastic player, that people often had to be reminded about Shaq’s presence on the court. Just like the “Jordan couldn’t do it without Pippen,” comment, the “Kobe couldn’t do it without Shaq,” soon followed.

Kobe Bryant would go on to win a few championships without Shaq, proving that he could in fact, do it himself.

Kobe was never my favorite player. In 2008, Joe Johnson led the young Atlanta Hawks to a historic playoff push against the newly formed big 3 of the Boston Celtics. Joe was my favorite ever since. Since I am from, born, and raised in Atlanta, the Hawks were my favorite team, and I watched every game. I still do to this day. But the NBA is a player’s league, meaning that you are not limited to a team in your fandom. Deron Williams was another all-time favorite player of mine. At his prime he was the PG of the Utah Jazz out west, which meant that most of the time, the road to a title still went through the Lakers. I still remember very vividly Deron attempting to catch Kobe on the break with a dunk attempt, which Kobe easily smacked into the stands with a look of disdain. I respected Deron for that, because he showed no fear where others would have shuddered at the thought. It was at that time I really started to pay attention to Kobe’s work ethic. Not many HOF guards challenge dunks like that on the defensive end. As I begun to do my research, it was revealed that Kobe was one of the hardest working players in the league. His training regime was legendary.  I remember watching a pre-game special before a Lakers playoff game. Believe they were playing the Denver Nuggets and the young superstar Carmelo Anthony. Kobe had not shot well in the previous game, so he, after everyone had left the arena, went back and forced the staff to aid him in shooting well into the early morning. I respected that work ethic- it was the only way I was ever good at anything.

As he got further in his career I began to take notes, understanding that he did not have to be my favorite player to cheer for, or support him. Unless of course he was playing one of my teams. Joe Johnson left the Hawks to join Deron Williams in Brooklyn, and for me it was like a dream come true. Kobe always operated against both those teams with extreme prejudice. His dunks against the Hawks and Nets are in his career highlights. I still jumped out of my seat with the stank face.

And of course Kobe was not operating on sheer athletic talent. He worked hard for his craft. He took no plays off defensively. He challenged the best players in the game, from Jordan to Lebron, and never once showed any sign of wavering (Matt Barnes, Shane Battier.) As I began to study more, I looked for just one thing I could imitate of his. It wasn’t the shooting or athletic ability. I did not have those gifts, and no amount of work was going to get me there. But I soon found my answer in the free throws. Kobe’s release and follow through were very deliberate, and they comprised a form I could follow.

My favorite time to watch Kobe was on team USA. He loved to represent his country, and practiced and played with the same intensity he did for his Lakers. I remember an interview with the head coach of team USA at the time, Coach K. He was directly criticized for the severe margin of victory the team won by in their last game. His response was, “Well, the first thing I did was take Kobe and Lebron out of the game.” The world knew how good Kobe was, and many international fans were not there to support their team. They were there to see Kobe.

The end of Kobe’s storied career was riddled with injury and controversy. Injury alone was not enough to hold him back. We all know of the severe tear he suffered, which, despite the injury, he got up and knocked down both his free throws. I have seen grown men scream and cry real tears, calling for their wives after that same injury. Kobe was a starter, and was not willing to be moved to the bench to help develop young talent. Every player did not work as hard to be great as Kobe did, and this was evident. He was able to stay most healthy for his final season however, and I caught as many games as I could. Finally, his last game came against none other than the Utah Jazz. It was late, as it was a west coast game, and I am on the east. I was exhausted, but I stayed up anyway. What followed was the greatest final appearance of any sports athlete we have ever seen. I am so glad I saw it live.

It may be hard for some to understand, how one can feel so sad about the death of one they did not know personally. But when you have been watching someone their entire career, and your whole life, you have earned the right to feel like you knew them personally. My brother Jazz said, “It feels like I lost an Uncle.” When I got the news, I was in sheer disbelief. ‘Kobe?’, ‘Not Kobe Bryant’, and ‘Had to be fake!’ were just a few of my responses. I felt like if anyone would survive a helicopter crash it would be him.

The harsh reality is that everyone has a time. As I watched the ceremony today, I am reminded again of just how many lives Kobe impacted. In 2009, I watched my best friend’s girlfriend slump to the floor thirty seconds within her speech at the funeral, and no one could blame her. Today, I saw Vanessa Bryant get up there and speak on not just Kobe, but the death of her daughter as well. Her speech was legendary, one that will live on throughout the course of history, as she embodied the Mamba Mentality in its purest form. His wife and remaining family can take solace in knowing they are not alone in their grief, as this is a death that has affected the world. The service was so impactful I stayed up all night, fighting back tears, as if I had gotten the news of his death all over again.

And so I thought I would take a moment to break away from the normal rap reviews as the collective that is the Oracle, and since I am he, would speak as just an individual.

It is not anyone’s place to tell another person how they should feel when it comes to death. Everyone deals with it differently. And it is especially asinine to tell someone they should not feel bad about someone they did not know personally. When you have watched someone play their entire career, and your entire life, you have the right to feel however you do.

Rest in Peace to the MVP who taught the world what it meant to really work hard, and stressed the importance of loving what you do. He was a relentless competitor, he never showed any fear, he was a loving father, and he never made any excuses. Kobe taught me how to be my own MVP, and he was the consummate example.

-        2.24.20 Gorm Laursen II, “The Oracle”
o   Edited by: Mike Strong

Comments

Popular Posts