SLID THRU PART 2 X ROCKIE FRESH

 


And we are back with another official review! As promised, the below are our metrics for our reviews. To see our previous review of DUM AND DUMMER 2 X YOUNG DOLPH X KEY GLOCK, click here.

 

SLID THRU PART 2 X ROCKIE FRESH

Release Date: 4.2.21

Number of Tracks: 10

Duration: 25 MIN

Favorite Track: Last Day of School

Rotation Tracks: 4 Door, Racer, No Accident, Home

 

The year was 2012 and my cousin sent me over a link to the mixtape Driving 88 from Rockie Fresh. Responsible for putting me on some of my favorite artists, I was inclined to listen and found that the tape was one of the best to drop that year. And while we have starkly different music preferences today, I always try to make sure I give credit where it is due. My cousin and I were not the only ones to hold the tape in such high regard, as soon Rockie saw himself signed to Rick Ross’s Maybach Music Group (MMG.)

 

He released his next tape under the MMG label, followed by the joint album with Casey Veggies: Fresh Veggies. Everything was looking good for Rockie for a while until he seemed to just get lost in the shuffle. The infighting between Wale and Meek Mill was approaching an irreconcilable point. Short term stop-in signings from artists like Gunplay, Stalley, Fat Trel, and Isa Muhammed saw MMG’s roster constantly changing. As it stands today in 2021, I can no longer say who actually is or is not on MMG.

 

And so Rockie Fresh made the decision to go independent, a decision which sees itself pay dividends today, with the Chicago born rapper’s latest project Slid Thru Part 2. With a smooth cadence and a laid back demeanor, Fresh is my type of rapper, and I still check for his drops.

 

The album was a surprise and the feel is about the same. The sound of Slid Thru Part 2 is consistent in some places and not in others. In that regard it feels less cohesive and more like a compilation project. Nevertheless, the vibe on the tape is well worth a spin. In fact, I would say the feel makes me want to go for a drive.

 

There are bars throughout the tape, and Rockie’s cadence generally rides the production well. There are only a few features, the most notable being Vic Mensa on Racer. Clocking in at just under 25 minutes, Slid Thru Part 2 does not waste any time with filler tracks or out of pocket skits. With 5 out of the 10 tracks rotation worthy, The Oracle would certainly recommend giving the tape a spin or two for your continued, (some of yall already out there) pandemic spins.

 

The album in a word: Slides

4.6.2021– The Oracle

 

 

 

Comments

Popular Posts